Boiler Boffin are passionate about making homes better automated and more interactive for our customers.
One of the best ways of achieving this is to fit modern controls which are app and internet enabled. There are dozens of such boiler and central heating controllers available on the market now, so picking the one best suited to your home can be difficult.
We have found that the control most of our customers prefer is the Nest Thermostat, which is developed by Google. There are several reasons for this being a popular choice ;
- The thermostat is aesthetically pleasing and looks very different from any other controller available
- They are developed by Google, one of the worlds largest tech companies
- They are readily available and sold in outlets such as Amazon, Apple stores and Supermarkets
- They are compatible with voice controls such as Google home and Amazon Alexa (demonstrated below)
- The thermostat is just one part of an interactive home range, it can be paired with CO alarms, Indoor and outdoor cameras, smart doorbells, smart lights, motion sensors and several other items currently in development.
Nest is very similar in design to their main competitor – Hive (by British Gas), but with a few notable differences;
- Nest has ‘Opentherm’ capabilities, meaning it is capable of modulating multiple different makes of boilers, increasing their efficiency while running the heating and saving you gas. Hive is simply an ‘On or Off’ stat, with no modulating capabilities.
- Hive is battery operated, so does not require a wire to be run, or to be plugged into a mains socket. This can be a limiting factor for anyone fitting a nest, as it must be fitted either to a Nest stand and plugged into a USB socket, or wired direct to its receiver unit.
- Nest is sold worldwide, and as such, has a far larger backup service and development team working to keep them operating smoothly. Hive is currently sold mainly to the UK market, although it has recently started to become available in North America.
After these more mass marketed products, it is worth considering some of the other, more niche smart home products. Such as the Honeywell Evohome kits, which can be tailored to allow independent control of every radiator in the home, all from a central controller and/or app on your mobile. These kits are far more expensive, so are not as popular. But for anyone who is looking for the ultimate level of control, they are a fantastic option, from one of the most established controls manufacturers around.
If asked to recommend a product, Boiler Boffin will normally advise to fit Nest, because they are well built, and Google have always been good at updating the existing product ranges to allow them to keep up with the newer technology and and product lines as they are rolled out. Meaning less risk of having a Smart product installed today, only to find that it has become old-hat technology by Christmas.
If you are interested in having a Smart home product fitted to control your Boiler or central heating system, and you live in or around the Hertfordshire area, then please get in touch with Boiler Boffin. We are always happy to offer advice, and are very well experienced in the installation of these products.